DiveSigns

Saturday 26 October 2013

Malta Dive Holiday - Day 2 (pt 2)

Ggantija Temples

Once we landed at Gozo, a new coach took us around the island. Like Malta, the architecture of the buildings was stunning:

Our first destination was the Ggantija Temples.

It is such a shame to see such a valued monument weathered away to not much more that piles of rocks now. But from the archaeology that has been done, sketches and models have been made which make the temple sound so impressive when it was first constructed, over 6,000 years ago!
Also on the site of the temples was a small store selling hand made goods such as scarves, jumpers, jewellery and crafted items.

 From here we caught the coach which took us to Blue Lagoon.

Blue Lagoon

Blue Lagoon has two key areas of interest, firstly, THE Blue Lagoon, you can take boat rides out through fissure in the limestone walls and into some sea caves.

The other iconic sight is the Azure Window.

The Window was originally a spit of land, but a violet storm caused the rock to give way leaving the arch.For just 3.50 euros I took a short boat tour through the caves and the sites were incredible!

The blue lagoon, quite literally, imagine luminous blue and that's what the water looks like! On the way across on the ferry I saw these orangey-brown “things” in the water, couldn’t tell what they were from the bow of the ferry, but up close they were Thunderbird Jellyfish! The head must have easily had a diameter of 30-40cm. The corals also looked incredible too. I’ve asked Divewise if we can dive here and they said maybe. God I hope so!

Here is a quick edit of the video I recorded of the boat tour:


The Blue Grotto also had many handmade goods stores like the Ggantija Temples:


Xlendi Bay

After about an hour at the Blue Grotto, we got back on the coach and it took us to Xlendi Bay. Its pronounced “Shlendi” and is a beautiful area. As part of the tour package we got lunch provided for us at a nice “cliff-front” (I bet that phrase has never been used before!! Probably for good reason!!) restaurant.

For lunch we had a lovely chicken chasseur type meal with dauphin Oise potatoes and a salad too. There wasn’t enough room on most tables so I sat with a small group of French women. I know, poor me eh? We did talk occasionally, I was racking my brain to remember my French from high school, and small phrases were coming back to me, but i thought best not to embarrass myself TOO much with them, so just spoke slow English.

After lunch we walked down to the bay to await the coach to take us to the capital of Gozo.

No comments:

Post a Comment