DiveSigns

Monday 28 October 2013

Malta Dive Holiday – Day 3

Getting started in the morning

Up early with excitement it was a quick breakfast while I awaited Anne to pick me up from my hotel to take me over to Divewise. While I waited I was getting eyed up by a local cat:

The local was keeping tabs on me
Anne arrived in the Divewise wagon to take me over to Divewise dive center. The dive centre is located in a bit of a basement to the hotel.



From there it was lots of paperwork filling out and a quick site tour. We would be doing our first "check" dive on the house reef. I loved the sound of this because it meant I could get my weighting right given that I was using a new wetsuit. So the house reef is literally, right outside the dive shop!

Literally walk across the "loading bay" and down this short ramp:

Walk down the ramp ...
And you get this view of this bay:

Looking out across the bay
From the end of the pier looking back you can see the area is lovely and sheltered

A sheltered bay

And the water looks great!

Clear water - so inviting!


Dive 1 – Check Out Dive

The morning was used for a check out dive on the Divewise house reef. As my first dive in Malta and first in a good few months it was a lovely dive.

For a detailed dive report check this link out.

Dive 2 – HMS Maori

In the afternoon we went over to Valetta to dive on a wreck known as HMS Maori. It was fairly broken up, but still better than the UK wrecks I have done (other than the Stanegarth at Stoney Cove HA!)

For a detailed dive report, check this link out.

Post Dive

By the time we got back to Divewise and rinsed off the gear it was about 3pm, so it was food time! On the way back, Ann had told us and showed us some restaurants that we get preferential deals with because we are Divewise customers. The nearest venue to the dive centre is a pub called Huggins (http://hugginspub.com/wp/). As Divewise customers we get an excellent 15% off all food and drink. Svenke and I had had a good time with each other diving, so with a 15% off beer and food offer there was the completely-unnecessary-words-spoken of “pint?” when the looks we gave each other sufficed! So we went to Huggins and had our first pints of Cisk, pronounced “Chisk”. Its a very very light beer, very easy to drink, which is what makes it so awful, before you know it you’ve had 10 and your buggered!

The food at Huggins’ is very good and very cheap, especially when you add on the 15% discount too. In fact I enjoyed the food and drink so much that I came back to Huggins every single night! We had a great bartender looking after us, to the point where the drinks were arriving before we could even ask!




No comments:

Post a Comment